POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Scaling normals : Scaling normals Server Time
2 Sep 2024 12:16:15 EDT (-0400)
  Scaling normals
From: Nieminen Juha
Date: 27 Jan 2000 06:43:30
Message: <38902f62@news.povray.org>
The scaling of normals has been modified in megapov so that the orientation
of the normals follows the scaling (and thus simulates a "heightfied" applied
to the surface of the object).
  This is ok in most cases. However, sometimes one wants to scale the
_pattern_, not the normals. For example if I want a kind of wood pattern
but with concentric ellipses instead of circles, I could just scale the
wood pattern unevenly so that it becomes an elliptical pattern. However
this scaling affects the normals, which is not the behaviour I wanted. I
just wanted to scale the pattern, not the normals.
  A recent case that happened to me is this: I wanted a spiral pattern that
doesn't twist itself along the z axis but it's rather constant. What I did
was to scale the pattern very long in the z direction, thus getting the effect
I wanted. Although I did this in the official povray (where it didn't affect
the normals), I think that this trick wouldn't work in megapov since the
normals would be scaled too.
  I think that there should be a way to scale the pattern itself, independently
of the normals.
  Does this make any sense?