POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another Picture, Another Question <18k jpg> : Another Picture, Another Question <18k jpg> Server Time
3 Oct 2024 11:16:18 EDT (-0400)
  Another Picture, Another Question <18k jpg>
From: Eric Freeman
Date: 26 Jan 2000 14:01:41
Message: <388f4495@news.povray.org>
Hey all,

I know what you're thinking: "Is this guy ever going to stop bothering us
with his petty little problems?"  The answer is NO!!!  Be prepared to be
tormented forever as I pick every nit I can find!!!

But seriously...  the attached image shows a ceiling with a bunch of
cylindrical cut-outs in it.  In every cut-out there are two light sources
(one at each end).  I'm using lights with fade_distance, but the far end of
the scene is as brightly lit as the near end (there is a fill-light
positioned at the camera position which also uses fade_distance, making the
nearest pillar slightly brighter than the others).  It seems as if light
quits fading when it hits an object.  Is this the case?  Should this be the
case??  Is this a bug???  I will re-render the scene making the more distant
lights progressively dimmer, but thought I'd ask anyway.  For reference, the
pillars are 8 units tall, 15 units apart, and there are 45 pairs of pillars
(making the farthest pillar 660 units from the nearest one).  The lights are
defined as:

#while (Looper < NumPillars)
  light_source {
    <0,8.5,(Looper*PillarGap)+CylGap+0.2>
    White*0.5
    fade_distance 8
    fade_power 3
  }
  light_source {
    <0,8.5,(Looper*PillarGap)-CylGap-0.2>
    White*LitePower
    fade_distance 8
    fade_power 3
  }
  #declare Looper = Looper+1;
#end

Eric
---------------
"A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one
another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own
pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of
labor the bread it has earned.  This is the sum of good government."
     - Thomas Jefferson
     - First inaugural address, 1801
http://www.ametro.net/~ericfree

Post a reply to this message