POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : engravings : Re: engravings Server Time
3 Oct 2024 11:19:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: engravings
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 25 Jan 2000 19:04:28
Message: <388e3a0c@news.povray.org>
Hope you don't hate me for saying this... they seem to be made of chalk.
About the engraving stuff, it wouldn't be easy to get a real good look.
'normal' can't do well for all things and any CSG is still going to be difficult
to get placed right.  A height field is the best thing I can think of if you use
a 256 color one without smoothing maybe, you know, so you get those contour
lines on purpose.  Just not sure how you'd go about getting the overall blade
shape in combination with that unless done by CSG and then it wouldn't be easy
again.
Might be plausible to use both a normal bump map though if you also apply a
semi-transparent image map of the same source into the same place. Kind of
enhance the effect maybe.

Bob