POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : random plugin : Re: random plugin Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:33:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: random plugin
From: Charles Fusner
Date: 26 Jan 2000 18:05:14
Message: <388E3475.305BB8FC@enter.net>
Alex Wolff wrote:

> hi,
> this random-plugin could work like the "duplicate"-function in moray.
> the only difference is that the transform-values you type in aren't
> absolute transform-values but indicate the range of the field where the
> objects are placed.
> for example:
> -with translate <10,10,0> you get randomly placed objects in a square
> field of 10x10.

Actually, you would do better to just imitate the Duplicate dialog,
except that for each transformation allow a second set of fields
below the first, so the first fields are the fixed amounts to
displace/rotate/scale by, and the second set of fields are the
random offset in the X, Y, and Z directions. For example:
Translation:
[ ] Offset (values are added)
[ ] Factor (values are multiplied)
           X        Y       Z
Fixed:  [     ]  [     ] [      ]
Random: [     ]  [     ] [      ]
This way, if you leave the "Fixed" fields empty and fill in
the "Random", you'll get a completely random distribution,
if you fill in "Fixed" but leave "Random" empty, it will be
a completely non-random distribution (like it behaves now),
and you can also fill in both, allowing a fixed distribution
with a random variance. Hence, maximum flexibility.

--
Charles

PS: Lutz, I've just started seriously trying out the new beta.
    The new features are excellent! The new graphical camera
    transformations are very helpful, and I really appreciate
    being able to set the search paths from the Configuration
    dialog.