POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Venus_103KBbefore : Re: Venus_103KBbefore Server Time
3 Oct 2024 11:15:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Venus_103KBbefore
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 21 Jan 2000 06:18:26
Message: <38883FE7.BC2484B4@xs4all.nl>
Peter Warren wrote:

> The 'Art' look of this image is no doubt partially a result
> of my art school (SFAI 1988 BA) training. I don't know if
> I would go so far as to call this Art but I do believe
> that it is possible to create Art with PovRay.
> (This is saying alot for me, an admitted pretentious
>  art fop.)
>
> Artistically this image is 'about' the idea of
> Platonic solids. The vase (as woman) and it's
> 2D representation on the chalk board. It's
> working title was "Blackboard".
>
> The genesis of this image was Martin Vilcans' "Balls" entry
> in the Physics and Math topic of IRTC and his adroit
> creation of chalklines.
>
> Debris 1.0 by csb### [at] TCSConcordiator250org (Coridon Henshaw).
> Elements of Comet 1.0 by Mr Henshaw.
> Rob Antonishen's chain.inc version 1.0.
>
> I need a new group: povray.posts.longwinded. :-)
>
> Peter Warren
> war### [at] hotmailcom

The image reminded me of several images by modern (not-so-much-anymore)
painters, a.o. like Jasper Johns. Also it reminded me of the story of
the two (ancient) Greek painters who had a little competition about who
could make the most realistic painting. The first painted a bowl of
grapes whcih attracted birds. The other covered his paintning by a
curtain. When the first painter tried to llok what was behind the
curtain he found that the curtain itself was painted. While the first
could fool his animals friends the second could fool his human rival ;)
Last the image has something 'Escheresque' with the curtains shadows
showing below the frame while the curtain itself stops inside the frame.
This gave me the idea that the chains had no way of attachment because
they might have been painted as well... and so on and so on...

Remco

"They call me Mr. Knowitall
 I am so eloquent
 Perfection is my middle name