POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Venus_103KBbefore : Re: Venus_103KBbefore Server Time
3 Oct 2024 11:17:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Venus_103KBbefore
From: Peter Warren
Date: 20 Jan 2000 20:50:23
Message: <3887bb5f@news.povray.org>
I was very reluctant to post this image but you guys
(I include not just the responders, but the entire
group) proved me wrong.

I was very happy with the 'look' of the curtain.
spatch is an amazing, albeit frozen in time, program.

Technically I had a patch 'issue'.
The use of CSG difference to create
the curtain's loop holes.
To quote from the docs:
"They [Finite Patch Primitives] may be combined
 in CSG union but cannot be use in other types of CSG."
 I know this has been discussed before but it
 does bother me a bit.

My inability to image map a patch resulted
in a kinda weird blueish piece of paper just hanging
there. No UV mapping, I used standard pov.

I also had difficulty, if you look, merging
a cone and a sphere to make the chalk 'mound'.

The wallpaper is a result of not wanting a plain
background and my love of grids.

The chains should be attached to the wall and shelves
with eye-hooks which I did not model.
What bothers me is the lack of something holding
the curtain tie. As well as the general unreality
of the curtains edges.

Remco: thank you very much!

Bob: You have a very discerning eye. Your comment
about it looking like a print makes me think
about doing an image with this in mind.
I wonder if the lack of contrast is partially
a result of the images use of pale colors.
I posted a version that does not have a
glaze on the vase

 FreddyD: Ich danke Ihnen vielmals.I try to learn the wonderful
 German language without much success.

The 'Art' look of this image is no doubt partially a result
of my art school (SFAI 1988 BA) training. I don't know if
I would go so far as to call this Art but I do believe
that it is possible to create Art with PovRay.
(This is saying alot for me, an admitted pretentious
 art fop.)

Artistically this image is 'about' the idea of
Platonic solids. The vase (as woman) and it's
2D representation on the chalk board. It's
working title was "Blackboard".

The genesis of this image was Martin Vilcans' "Balls" entry
in the Physics and Math topic of IRTC and his adroit
creation of chalklines.

Debris 1.0 by csb### [at] TCSConcordiator250org (Coridon Henshaw).
Elements of Comet 1.0 by Mr Henshaw.
Rob Antonishen's chain.inc version 1.0.

I need a new group: povray.posts.longwinded. :-)

Peter Warren
war### [at] hotmailcom