POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Shading idea (to correct an annoying artifact) : Re: Shading idea (to correct an annoying artifact) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:21:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shading idea (to correct an annoying artifact)
From: Nieminen Juha
Date: 20 Jan 2000 02:58:16
Message: <3886c018@news.povray.org>
Nathan Kopp <Nat### [at] koppcom> wrote:
: Actually, you brought up a good point. Media calculations (which have to
: know whether a ray is inside or outside of a particular interior), and the
: translucency calculations WOULD get confused by ignoring the first
: intersection.

  My suggestion was to ignore the first intersection for the _shadow_
calculation, not for anything else (although I didn't think about this
when I wrote the article :) ).

: Using
: it as an option then allows users to apply it only in situations where it
: would not cause strange problems.

  Of course it should be an option.
  The other advantage would be backwards compatibility (who knows, perhaps
someone really _wants_ that effect in an old scene...).

: Actually implementing this could prove quite difficult, unfortunately (due
: to the shadow cache and the bounding box tree which have been implemented to
: speed up shadow calculations).

  What a pitty :(