POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Not Elephant Walk : Re: Not Elephant Walk Server Time
20 Jul 2024 21:25:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not Elephant Walk
From: Matt Giwer
Date: 19 Jan 2000 17:21:09
Message: <3886390A.46E841D1@ij.net>
With all the walking comments.What is implemented is left
front and right rear moving in sync and the alternate pair out of
sync with that. The middle pair move opposite each other with
right center in sync with left front and left center with right
front. I did this with simply the desire to make it look
reasonably complex but not pairwise movement like a centipede. It
does give a three on the ground at a time effect.

    BUT what I sort of remember from a Learning Channel show on
locomotion some years ago is that for all insects there is only
one leg off the ground at any time including centipedes and
millipedes. That being why motion appears to undulate down their
long bodies. However I will not swear to that memory or it being
universal to insects.