POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : alternate coordinate systems in iso.s. : Re: alternate coordinate systems in iso.s. Server Time
2 Sep 2024 12:16:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: alternate coordinate systems in iso.s.
From: Sigmund Kyrre Aas
Date: 19 Jan 2000 13:41:16
Message: <38860551.5005CC99@stud.ntnu.no>
I was just playing around in Maple, and made some shapes there I'd like
to use in pov. f.x:

plot3d((1.2)^x * sin(y),x=-8..Pi,y=0..Pi,coords=spherical);
(snail's house)

plot3d(y,x=0..3*Pi,y=0..3*Pi,coords=toroidal,scaling=constrained);
(ufo)

I can post images in p.b.i if you are interested.

I've found several conversion functions in my "Matematische
Formelsamlung" by Rottmann, fx for torus:
x=l*cos(phi)*sinh(ksi)/(cosh(ksi)-cos(eta))
y=l*sinh(ksi)/(cosh(ksi)-cos(eta))
z=l*sin(eta)/(cosh(ksi)-cos(eta))
I'm not sure what l is, and certainly not how to do the #declare
function {thing}.

As for the built in functions, you can only pass numbers to those, not
functions. I don't see how I can use them here.

sig.