POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Shading idea (to correct an annoying artifact) : Re: Shading idea (to correct an annoying artifact) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:24:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shading idea (to correct an annoying artifact)
From: Burton Radons
Date: 19 Jan 2000 06:11:49
Message: <38859C2B.A2868EB0@pacificcoast.net>
Nieminen Juha wrote:

> Burton Radons <lot### [at] pacificcoastnet> wrote:
> : This solution would only compound the problem.  If you let the ray
> : ignore the first intersection, then it will be inside the sphere and
> : simply hit the other side going out, causing the same problem as
> : before.
>
>   The solution was precisely to ignore that surface (ie. the first intersection
> with the current object from the current point). So there's no such problem.

Sorry.  I was thinking of the first intersection as being the surface,
and therefore the cause of the shadow, but with the epsilon it should
pass through the intersected surface and hit the other side of the
object.  And of course, the surface is already taken into account for
the coloring and doesn't need to be filtered twice.

I can't think of any reason why your technique would fail.