POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : Advice re: MainActor : Re: Advice re: MainActor Server Time
27 Jul 2024 08:24:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Advice re: MainActor
From: Mark Wagner
Date: 18 Jan 2000 00:56:16
Message: <38840080@news.povray.org>
Nieminen Juha wrote in message <388308d3@news.povray.org>...
>  I think that the amount of artifacts depends on the quality setting of
the
>frames, the type of the frames (I, P or B) and the amount and ordering of
them.
>This also affects file size.
>  Cmpeg is very good because you can easyly change these things.
>  With the default settings of cmpeg (IBBPBBPBB or something like that), my
>entry was too big (about 6 Megs). I tried lots of settings until I found
>one that gave me lots of compression without too many artifacts (the frames
>were in the order IBPBPBPBPBPBPBPBPB if I remember right).

In general, "I" frames give you the best quality, but by far the least
compression.  "P" frames give you good compression and good quality, while
"B" frames give enormous compression at the lowest quality.  I used the
pattern "IPPIPPIPPIPPIPPI" for my robot, giving good quality and 80:1
compression.  The pattern "IBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB" gave 312:1 compression, but a
quality that the generous would describe as "horrendous".

Mark