POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Martian Dust Storm, URL to the Mpeg : Re: Martian Dust Storm, URL to the Mpeg Server Time
21 Jul 2024 03:18:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Martian Dust Storm, URL to the Mpeg
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 17 Jan 2000 11:58:26
Message: <38834ADF.FC16A2D@geocities.com>
omniVERSE wrote:

> At first I thought you had posted to the wrong place.
> I figured out what you meant and looked around on the 'net.  Ended up at a GNU
> RCS web page and bookmarked it.  If it's what I think it is might be useful
> alright.  I never "program" anything, only used to do some Basic language, but
> if I get what this RCS can do then it might be worthwhile to have around instead
> of trying to save a current file with a new name (I have many of those and often
> lose track of which is the best or latest).  Really not sure, I'm filling my PC
> up so much all the time as it is the computer is slowing up on me, no harm in
> checking it out though.
>
> http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/trinkle/RCS/index.html  is the one I came across.
>
> Thanks for that offer of help too.
>
> Bob

Here is one location you can get CVS and RCS from:

http://www.cyclic.com/pub/

Here is where RCS is on their servers:

http://www.cyclic.com/pub/rcs/

That includes Windows NT versions. (This also works for Windows 9X, since it's
really just a Win32 version)

Quickstart:
* make a C:\bin directory
* add it to your PATH
* go there
* extract rcs57nt.zip
* extract diff27nt.zip
* read some docs   :-)
* go to where you are working on stuff
* create a 'RCS' directory (all caps, if you can)

* ci -l *.pov

Now each one should ask you to enter a description.
the "-l" option makes it check back out a locked version after the check-in is
done. A locked version is one that you can edit.

And whenever you finish editing a .pov file and are at a stage that you might want
to keep around, or just before you start doing strange experiments in it...

ci -l myfile.pov

voila! you have source control.

the command
rcsdiff myfile.pov
will show you what has changed since your last check-in.

the command
rcslog myfile.pov
will show you a history on that file.

--
"My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
But it was obsolete before I opened the box" - W.A.Y.