POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Martian Dust Storm, URL to the Mpeg : Re: Martian Dust Storm, URL to the Mpeg Server Time
20 Jul 2024 21:32:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Martian Dust Storm, URL to the Mpeg
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 17 Jan 2000 02:32:09
Message: <3882C627.28419AB4@geocities.com>
omniVERSE wrote:

> Gee, thanks, except now I'm regretting not keeping the original pov script I
> used to make it.  I went on to try and get a more realistic sky for Mars
> (anybody's guess there) and turbulent dust without such a fast motion clear and
> semi-opaque media pattern in the same file and saved over the old file.  I can
> only hope it gets better and not worse then.  At least I now have a height_field
> now (isosurface didn't work out) and the hovercraft dust trail isn't causing
> trouble with the ground fog because the fog is no longer used.
> I sure wish I had saved the previous file under another name.  I might be
> getting this other one uploaded in a day or two if all goes well.
>
> Bob

Time for my 'software engineer' to pop out.

Use source control. It's very very very good. Especially for POV-Ray stuff.

You can get CVS or RCS for free. I use RCS. It's a little more low-level, but it's
fine for a single developer. Also, if you are in Windows and check something in,
then reboot to Linux and check stuff out, RCS & CVS will handle the line-end
conversions for you.

Also, you can then see what you changed from any saved version to the other, you'll
be able to get back old versions that might be interesting, and you can backup work
more easily.

They also handle binary files, so you can keep all your source image maps, etc.
under source control also.

Plus you happen to know someone who can help you get up and running for free. (me
:-)

--
"My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
But it was obsolete before I opened the box" - W.A.Y.