POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Front-End thoughts : Re: Front-End thoughts Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:20:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Front-End thoughts
From: Ken
Date: 16 Jan 2000 21:36:02
Message: <38827EFE.20A744CB@pacbell.net>
Anthony May wrote:

> What Pov-Ray is lacking is a good all round Front-End GUI.
> A package capable of doing complex modelling (primitives, blobs, NURBS
> e.t.c.)
> With powerful animation tools. (keyframing, inverse kinematics, skeletal
> animation, Real-time OpenGL/wireframe preview e.t.c.)
> Intuitive interface (stealing ideas of most of the best modellers ie
> Rhino3D)
> Cross platform
> The ability to edit POV code in-program (a bit like a WYSIWYG webpage
> editor with html editing functions - I gather this would interest those
> who like coding by hand because it gives them greater control over the
> scene)
> All in a nice free GPLed program
>
> But these are just some thoughts. Perhaps one day I might start on a
> project like this, but at the moment I have neither the expertise or the
> time for it *sigh*
> I would imagine that if there was a program like this (is there?) it
> would make Pov-Ray alot more popular, even more than it is now!

There is one project in the works called PRM (POV-Ray Modeller) that
has many lofty goals of adding the features that you detailed. Like
any group project it is bogged down by people with real lives and
they are doing it as a hobby. I really haven't heard in a long time
how much progress they are making if any.