POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Planet POV (~17kbau) : Re: Planet POV (~17kbau) Server Time
3 Oct 2024 19:17:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Planet POV (~17kbau)
From: Ken
Date: 16 Jan 2000 18:35:36
Message: <388254CD.58D9C508@pacbell.net>
Gregoire Millette wrote:

> It's good to see people actually responding to this thread :)
>
> I understand that the POVray site will be up and running soon with all these new
> libraries and everything but will there be
>
> news about new softwares
> interview's with artists
> pictures of the week
> animation of the week
> reviews about new software or #include files
> tutorials, tips and other stuff?
>
> Those are a couple things I had planned on incorporating into Planet POV.
>
> There are still things that require a humanly touch as opposed to just being
> generated by machine.  That is what I would offer.  There is so much going on in
> the POV-Ray community and I'm sure people would like a site that keeps them up
> to date with current softwares and happenings.

That is a good point.

 We will probably avoid stuff like reviews of software, interviews, and the
pictures/animations of the week kind of scenarios.
As far as tutorials and
upgrades to the POV-Ray documentation we will be soliciting the public for
these types of materials. We (the TAG) think that even though the POV-Ray
documentation is comprehensive there are areas that it cannot cover and
that once an official release has been made that areas of the docs may
need clarification after the fact. For this reason we are going to try to
become a documentation and tutorial store house for the Pov community. We
haven't even discussed how we are going to accomplish this yet but it is
on our growing list of things to do.

 I am not trying to discourage you from setting up your own POV-Ray related
site and in fact it might be a great idea for you to do so. I for one plan
on using my considerable contacts as the Linkmaster to scrounge around for
resources to add to the TAG's web pages. If your site contains content that
may help the TAG site you may be contacted to share some of that material
with us and the rest of the POV-Ray community. On the other hand with some
of these libraries that we have planned and in the works you may want to
avoid them just for the sake of avoiding duplication of efforts. People
should also remember that any resources that the TAG makes available to
the public will be done so with the official sanctioning of the POV-Team
and therefore will be official POV-Ray resources (even though contributors
retain intellectual rights to submitted materials).