POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : s-povray and tty : Re: s-povray and tty Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:21:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: s-povray and tty
From: Mark Gordon
Date: 16 Jan 2000 15:56:09
Message: <388230B6.846D0E72@mailbag.com>
Peter Popov wrote:

> is there a way I can make s-povray display to a non-tty console such
> as /dev/pts/*?

(snip)

> Now, I want to see how s-povray is doing, but it insists on outputting
> to a tty. How can I change that? I tried to ttysnoop tty8 but I
> couldn't do it. Any hints on that? If there is a way to watch the
> console s-povray is running on, can you (Mark?) please include it in
> the manpage? If there is not, will it be hard to add a command-line
> option to choose a console (or at least a type of console tty, tts,
> pts etc.)?

My understanding of svgalib is that it only displays on a tty.  I could
(if I read up on it a bit more) add support for output on an arbitrary
terminal, but I don't know that I could do any better than 80x25, 16
colors).

Have you had no luck getting x-povray to display remotely?  That would
strike me as a better solution, since X is designed to function over
networks. I've gotten x-povray to display over rsh, but I haven't had
the need to try ssh (trusted network; I can reach all four machines and
the hub from where I'm sitting).  I can check it out on my end.

-Mark Gordon