POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : K-6 Bugs : Re: K-6 Bugs Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:18:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: K-6 Bugs
From: Mark Gordon
Date: 16 Jan 2000 15:52:39
Message: <38822FE5.FC6B8768@mailbag.com>
Yann Ramin wrote:

> There seems to be some problems with the Pentium optimizations and K6
> processors. If you try to run pov with them enabled (-D586) it will hard
> lock the machine.  You have to do a full processor reset (power cycle)
> to get it working again.  Has anyone expierienced these problems?

This is the first I've heard of it, though it doesn't entirely surprise
me.  The Linux kernel instructions suggest telling AMD and Cyrix CPU's
that they're 386's in order to avoid making wrong assumptions in the
course of optimization.

For future releases, I'm just going to stick with 386 optimizations, as
it seems those are fairly safe.  I'll also make a point of strongly
suggesting to people that they download and compile POV-Ray themselves
on their own hardware (once I have a good configure script put together)
in order to get better performance than they can get with a highly
generic binary.

-Mark Gordon