POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : REQ: A console version for Linux : Re: REQ: A console version for Linux Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:23:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: REQ: A console version for Linux
From: Mark Gordon
Date: 16 Jan 2000 15:46:52
Message: <38822E8A.A8FA1307@mailbag.com>
PoD wrote:

> Peter Popov wrote:
> >
> > The current Linux distribution of POV-Ray requires either svgalib or
> > xlib. The svgalib implementation has a potential loophole and I'm not
> > quite happy with this since spovray will run on my firewall. As of the
> > X version, well, one has to have X right? :)
> >
> > Would it be possible to have a _really_ console version of POV-Ray for
> > Linux? One that has no graphical output whatsoever, just simple (not
> > ANSI-enhanced) text output easily redirected to a file. Why do we need
> > this? Well, Linux boxes become more and more popular every day, and a
> > box (as I use here) has no user interface so it doesn't need any input
> > or output devices, so there's no need to install svgalib or X. Makes
> > sense?
> >
> > Peter Popov
> > pet### [at] usanet
> > ICQ: 15002700
>
> Did you install from source or a binary package?
> If from source -
>   make newunix
>   make unix
> - will give you a no-graphics version called 'povray'.
>
> I don't know about binary releases, sorry.
>
> Cheers, PoD.

There are two binaries in povlinux.tgz.  The generic console one is not
among them.  As PoD mentions, there is a way to make such a beast from
the source code, but we've never put that among the Linux binaries,
since it adds significantly to the size of the package, and we're trying
to save people download time and HD space.

I've given some more thought to the earlier suggestion of One Big
Binary, and I'll see what I can do to maybe make one binary that will
run anywhere and display (or not) appropriately for the context.  This
would be a long-term solution to the problem.

-Mark Gordon