POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Quick instructions how to compile POV-Ray for UNIX : Re: Quick instructions how to compile POV-Ray for UNIX Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:27:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quick instructions how to compile POV-Ray for UNIX
From: Mark Gordon
Date: 16 Jan 2000 15:45:13
Message: <38822E26.AD08F80F@mailbag.com>
J Kim wrote:

>  I am trying to install the POV-Ray for Unix on a Digital
> AlphaServer4000 5/400 System(Digital Unix 4.0).  As per your
> instruction, I chose makefile.dec.
> It went OK upto this point.
> After that, I had a problem after I typed: gmake newunix
>        ksh: gmake:  not found
> Since I'm a real newbie to this Unix world, I really need some help in
> this regard.
>  Do I have to install the gmake program somewhere on the Digital Unix
> /bin?
>  Can I simply install in my subdirectory for the gmake to work?
>  Can I get the program from the www.gnu.org site?
(snip)
> >   - At the command prompt, type: gmake newxwin
> >     If you only want a command line version, you can type: gmake
> > newunix
> >     In Linux you can type: gmake newsvga

You ought to be able to get by using make rather than gmake.  It was
never my intent to require gmake (though it has at times hidden a few
bugs in the makefile that other versions of make didn't tolerate so
well, but I think those are fixed now).  Let me know if that doesn't
work.

-Mark Gordon