POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Planet POV (~17kbau) : Re: Planet POV (~17kbau) Server Time
3 Oct 2024 13:17:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Planet POV (~17kbau)
From: Ken
Date: 16 Jan 2000 15:35:30
Message: <38822AB0.9A0636A3@pacbell.net>
TonyB wrote:

> >I still hear Tony shouting in the background,
> >though he's at the other end of the globe ;)
>
> Heheh, I'm a little bit embarrassed now. I was supposed to have noticed this
> in an old thread. I skip a lot of the material here for lack of time to read
> it all.

the following. At the time is was a little indefinite but with my
persuasive personality I pushed them past the other TAG members
and the POV-Team in short order:

>  On the other hand, if there was a large selection of various media
> effects available, I'd certainly use them.  (I *still* can't figure
> out how to get media to do some of the things I used to do with halos...)

I will pass this idea on to the TAG. Media is a tricky one because it
is difficult to apply to different objects and in different lighting
conditions. What it was designed for may not work when you apply it
to your own object or scene. The catch 22 here is that media in
containers require objects and we don't want this particular library
to become an object library.

  For those who might be interested we have begun talking amongst
ourselves about adding other resources like this one to povray.org.
We have not yet decided what we will offer or even obtained permission
from the POV-Team to offer any more than the texture library but we
will be working on it after the new texture library goes on line.

Some ideas I personaly have had are:

Texture    Library
Object     Library
Macro      Library
Isosurface Library
Turorial   Library
Document   Library

  We might offer these resources from a web page that we will call the
TAG home page. Then the seperate libraries will be accessed from there.
Again we have nothing concrete on this yet and even if we do add these
it will be in stages as we get time and permission to work on them.