POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : #macro parsing speed (or the lack of it) : Re: #macro parsing speed (or the lack of it) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:18:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: #macro parsing speed (or the lack of it)
From: Burton Radons
Date: 15 Jan 2000 21:03:22
Message: <388126FD.FD30230@pacificcoast.net>
I have placed the patch at:
http://www.pacificcoast.net/~loth/povray-macro-patch.gz

Standard disclaimers apply; I don't actually have much of an idea how
the parser works yet, but I can ape the knowledge well.  As long as
reality continues its structural integrity it should work, as there are
no places where it knows how to not work.

What is the etiquette for these patches -- could I post it in
povray.binaries.programming and announce it here, or post it here?
Should it be gzipped or unzipped for review?

In general, I don't see much of a difference in speed, about a 5% gain.
When I put the #while loop in a macro, though, I got a 11% gain, since
the string's fseek is naturally faster.  Now that's the way macroes
should be!  Also, when going through an included macro, it's three times
faster.  Chris should note extreme speed increases.

Trivial but fun.