POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Jesus, in ((( S T E R E O ))) [65kbau] : Re: Jesus, in ((( HAROLDVISION ))) [38kbau] Server Time
3 Oct 2024 19:19:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Jesus, in ((( HAROLDVISION ))) [38kbau]
From: 3Dude
Date: 15 Jan 2000 01:58:47
Message: <38801aa7@news.povray.org>
Tony,

Oh, well stereo images can be presented in many formats, there are
two "side-by-side" formats: parallel- where the left eye image is on
the left and right on the right; cross-eyed where the left eye image
is place on the right. Some people (like me) can more easily view a
cross-eye presentation than a parallel presentation, especially if the
width of the image is more than 2.5 inches (~65mm). Parallel
presentation is pretty much limited to images about that size, where
as cross-eyed presentation doesn't have that limitation. On the other
hand many people can't cross their eyes very easily. To view a
parallel stereo pair you have to relax your eyes. Technically, you
uncouple your convergence and accommodation, meaning that you
focus close but your eyes are parallel as if looking at infinity, this
is not normal and it takes practice for most people- remember the
"hidden image" random dot stereogram fad? If those were easy for
you then you will be able to free-view parallel stereo pairs.
To view cross-eye pairs you, well, cross your eyes. If you cross your
eyes for a parallel pair then you will see "pseudo-stereo" which is
the term for reversed pairs where depth is reversed. This is difficult
for the brain to interpret, so it looks odd or just flat.

Many stereo photography web sites present the images as a trio,
Left-Right-Left. That way the viewer can use parallel free-viewing
or cross-eyed. The version of the Jesus that you made for me has the
left eye image on the left, so it is a parallel rather than cross-eye pair.
I know that because when I cross-eye view it I see it in pseudo-stereo.

Harold