POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : stereogram anyone? 51kbu : Re: stereogram anyone? 51kbu Server Time
3 Oct 2024 19:17:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: stereogram anyone? 51kbu
From: Harold Baize
Date: 13 Jan 2000 18:35:27
Message: <387e613f@news.povray.org>
Sigmund Kyrre Aas <as### [at] studntnuno> wrote in message
> Harold Baize wrote:

> Don't be. The camera separation would be the same :) Here's my cam:
> camera {
>    #local L=28;
>    #local Pos=<-45 , 12 ,-30>*.7;
>    location  Pos + vnormalize(vcross(Pos,y))*clock
>    look_at   <0, 0 , -2>
>    angle degrees(atan2(35,L))
> }

Whoa, hecka complex camera statement. Guess I'm still thinking with a
POV 1.0 camera syntax.

> The target is at <0,0,0> and it's normal is -x. On closer inspection,
> the camera distance is 39 units and the target radius is 15, so the "one
> unit for every 30 units" rule is actually fulfilled.

Which is why it produces a strong stereo effect without eye strain :-).
To look at an object 39cm from your eyes you would definitely need to
converge the eyes.  Instead you bring the cameras together. The
result is a dart board that appears to be more than a meter in diameter.

> Can this rule be derived from the focal length of the human eye or
> something?

Yes, but I'll have to look up the specifics if you want them. Ultimately
though, the rule is species specific, a dog would use a smaller separation,
say 1:20.

Harolddd