POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Mega Photon Bug? : Re: Mega Photon Bug? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 18:19:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mega Photon Bug?
From: Ron Parker
Date: 13 Jan 2000 08:29:15
Message: <387dd32b@news.povray.org>
On 13 Jan 2000 04:51:09 -0500, Nieminen Juha wrote:
>Mark Wagner <mar### [at] gtenet> wrote:
>: As big as the compiler will allow.
>
>  Take into account that the program might _reserve_ the space for the stack
>at run time. That is, if you set a 100 Megs stack, the program may need
>100 Megs of memory for the stack + the memory for the rest of the things.

Not under win32, as I understand it.  Win32 has two numbers governing stack
size, a reserved amount set aside in the page table at runtime, and a committed
amount that's actually mapped.  As the stack grows, Windows allocates more pages
to it.  Also, for those skilled at hex editing, the reserved and committed stack
space are just numbers in the executable file, so they can be changed rather
easily without recompiling.

The official POV has a reserve/commit of 80000/10000 (hex). Megapov is set to
100000/1000 (hex).  So if this is a stack problem, it would hit the official
version too, though a little higher commit wouldn't hurt megapov in the
performance department.