POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : What DPI? : Re: What DPI? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:27:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What DPI?
From: Harold Baize
Date: 12 Jan 2000 15:50:24
Message: <387ce910@news.povray.org>
Hey, you know, this has always bugged me. Print graphics people
talk about DPI as if the inches were a fixed number. It isn't
so it tells you nothing about the resolution of the image.
After it is printed, yes, but not before. Unless the surface
area is defined before hand. 300 DPI might be good if you want
an image one inch square.

I just don't understand the usage of DPI, it depends on your
printer resolution and the size of the print you want to
make, neither of which is defined when you describe a
computer graphics file in terms of DPI. Too many undetermined
parameters.

Now if you say 3000x2000 pixels, then I know what you're
talking about. The physical size of the print will depend on
the printer resolution (DPI). How do you convert a DPI into a
rendering resolution? Do you assume an 8x10 inch print area?

Harold