POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : modeling programs : Re: modeling programs (long) Server Time
6 Sep 2024 00:18:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: modeling programs (long)
From:  jivvy
Date: 12 Jan 2000 12:06:23
Message: <387cb48f@news.povray.org>
> At this point with the modellers it seems like "re-inventing the wheel"
> learning all the pov code....for me "this point" is fairly basic...once it
> gets more advanced is there heaps you can do with the pov code that a
> modeller cant do?

As someone who makes extensive use of a modeller (Moray, IMO, the best one
there is and I tried several), let me say that being able to handcode POV is
invaluable.  None of the modellers (to my knowledge) implement ALL of the
features of POV.  Additionally, many generous individuals out there create
wonderful tools that open up a world of possibilities with POV -- such as
geodesic domes.  Those aren't automatically incorporated into the modellers.

However, the level of knowledge you need to incorporate such features is not
the same level of knowledge needed by the people who "handcode only".  A
basic familiarity with how everything works and the ability to look at code
and have some understanding of what you're looking at allows you to hand
edit in the features that are not included in the modeller output.

Additionally, you need to be able to spot problems.  I'm currently working
on a scene with several thousand primitives -- all of a sudden, the
generated code was corrupted.  From looking at Moray, everything seemed
fine.  I checked the error message that POV generated and opened up the
include file that contained the error.  Somehow an object (non-primitive)
generated by a third-party plug-in had gotten hosed -- I deleted the object
and everything was fine. Because I could look at the code and see the
problem, I knew which object out of several thousand was causing the
problem.

When using POV, I often wish I had the math skills of any number of people
that produce some of the more amazing items with POV all hand-coded... but
the fact of the matter is, I don't, and I don't have any interest in
devoting several years of study towards gaining them.  I've come to terms
with the fact that the two math teachers in my family used up all the math
genes by the time I came along. ;)

Claire