POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Bug in photon patch (megasrc3) : Re: Bug in photon patch (megasrc3) Server Time
2 Sep 2024 12:15:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug in photon patch (megasrc3)
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 12 Jan 2000 10:35:09
Message: <387c9f2d@news.povray.org>
Thomas Willhalm <tho### [at] willhalmde> wrote...

> Hello,
>
> inspired by the article of Eric Freeman I've run his scene through megapov
> using purify. It reveiled that there is "uninitiaized memory read". More
> precisely, in the function BacktraceRefract in lighting.c only the
> rgb values of lc are initialized. The transmit value is however used
> in Determine_Apparent_Colour when
>
>   Colour[TRANSM] *= C1[TRANSM];

During the photon-tracing step (when BacktraceRefract is called), the
transmit and filter channels of Colour are ignored (i.e. the value that
Determine_Apparent_Colour places in Colour[TRANSM] is never used), so this
shouldn't cause a problem.

-Nathan