POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : HELP/// : Re: HELP/// Server Time
3 Oct 2024 21:19:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HELP///
From: Ron Parker
Date: 12 Jan 2000 10:10:28
Message: <387c9964@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 12 Jan 2000 22:46:35 -0500, Matt Giwer wrote:
>    Or just put a penny on a scanner.

That doesn't give you a depthmap, and it doesn't give you something you
could integrate to get a depthmap (the light is coming from in front, so
there are no shadows.)

>    As to and inverse operation, I don't see what you mean. But there is
>always a separate inverse function, the photonegative.

I mean inverse in the mathematical sense, as in "the operation you'd perform
to undo the emboss operation."

>    And there is also almost always the "stamp" filter instead of emboss
>which often works much better for things where emboss appears to be the right
>thing but doesn't work. And with stamp you should get control of edge depth
>and direction.

But it does the same basic operation as emboss, which is differentiation.
I want a filter that integrates.

I could of course write one that works on PPM files, which would be good
enough for my purposes.  Maybe when I have more free time... (like that'll
ever happen)