POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Dumb idea (?): Trees : Re: Dumb idea (?): Trees Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:21:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dumb idea (?): Trees
From: Jan Walzer
Date: 11 Jan 2000 17:00:22
Message: <387ba7f6@news.povray.org>
> > Can't we use it as a kind of Media ???
>
> You're not the first one to come up with this idea. It has already be
> phrased by Kajiya and Kay in "Rendering Fur with Three Dimensional
> Textures", Computer Graphics, Volume 23, Number 3, July 1989.
Where to get this paper ?

[...]
> In my opinion, this approach has a lot of potential. Apart from fur,
> I think that grass and forests can be renderered this way. Of course,
> someone must first find an adequate lighting model for these objects.
> However, you should be aware that this method will only work for
> distant views.
hmmm ... but am I right, about the rendertime ...
I've thougt about the last night, and found that therefore the "steps in the
media" (or how was it called) have to be massivly increased, to get all the
branches of a high-detailed tree, don't they?
The standard for this is AFAIK 10 steps, and how can this make a good tree ?