POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : modeling programs : Re: modeling programs Server Time
6 Sep 2024 00:19:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: modeling programs
From: John VanSickle
Date: 14 Jan 2000 21:44:00
Message: <387FE0BC.F60DB214@erols.com>
Steve wrote:

> I've tried modellers, Moray twice each time for about two days, but couldn't
> get to grips with it,  and I've tried Spatch twice and read all the tutorials
> but those lines on the screen just confuse me.  My hat's off to those who
> have such an ability with modellers.

My problem with most modellers is that most of them don't approach objects in
the same way as the POV-Ray scene code does.  For instance, in POV you can
make a cylinder this way:

cylinder {  <2.3,0,1.2>,<-2.3,0,1.2>,.4 texture { MyTexture } }

In every modeller I've ever seen, you essentially have to do this:

cylinder { 0,z,1
  scale <.4,.4,4.6>
  rotate y*90
  translate <-2.3,0,1.2>
  texture { MyTexture }
}

Which is counter-intuitive and seems to create bigger scene code.

Furthermore, none of the shareware or freeware modellers have a mesh editor
(which is why I wrote one in *BASIC* of all things).

Regards,
John
--
ICQ: 46085459