POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Problems with Corel linux? : Re: Problems with Corel linux? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:11:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problems with Corel linux?
From: Mark Gordon
Date: 14 Jan 2000 19:30:08
Message: <387FBFD9.50E85169@mailbag.com>
Marc Schimmler wrote:

> A colleague of mine tried to install POVRAY on a Corel linux system. He
> fetched the package from Debian and look what happened:
>
> LOGSCRIPT:
> # more /etc/issue
> Corel LINUX 1.0 (\l)
>
> # apt-get install povray
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
>   libpvm3 cpp zlib1g-dev zlib1g libc6-dev libc6 binutils ldso
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   timezones g++ libreadlineg2-dev libncurses4-dbg libstdc++2.9-dev
>   libncurses4-dev gcc egcc
>   libpvm3 povray
> 7 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 8 to remove and 282 not
> upgraded.
> Need to get 5376kB of archives. After unpacking 8014kB will be
> freed.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
>
> ----
>
> Any idea why timezones, g++, libreadlineg2-dev, libncurses4-dbg,
> libstdc++2.9-dev, libncurses4-dev, gcc and egcchave have been removed?
> :-)

I think it's possible that one of the necessary extra packages is messed
up (libpvm3, cpp, zlib1g-dev, zlib1g, libc6-dev, libc6, binutils, or
ldso) and not POV-Ray.  Try apt-getting them individually and see if one
of them wants to nuke gcc etc.  Once it's narrowed down which package is
doing this, get in touch with the person in charge of that package for
the Debian project.

-Mark Gordon