POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MEGAPov error in mesh differences : Re: MEGAPov error in mesh differences Server Time
2 Sep 2024 12:16:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MEGAPov error in mesh differences
From: Charles Fusner
Date: 13 Jan 2000 20:32:34
Message: <387E719E.D7223362@enter.net>
GrimDude wrote:
> All of my aircraft models have been affected by something in MegaPov. I use
> a lot of differences in order to apply images to given portions of the
> planes, clip out panels, etc., and I keep seeing extraneous portions of the
> difference object.

Are you saying these models worked in official POV? Because by
rights they probably shouldn't have. Meshes never used to be
reliably usable for CSG other than unions because they had no
well defined insides and outsides, and if differencing other
shapes from them worked at all, it proabably acted like clipping.
MegaPOV changed this by giving meshes "insides" so differencing
from a mesh will behave in a fundamentally different way in
MegaPOV, but that most likely isn't a bug you're seeing. You
might have to substitute clipped_by for difference to get the
same effect now.

> To test this I took a simple sphere mesh, and subtracted out a  box
> (non-mesh). A portion of the box remains within the scene.

Is it fundamentally different from when you do the same difference
of a box from a regular sphere primitive? If not, what you're
seeing is the difference "solid" meshes (new in MegaPOV) makes
on the operation.

Charles