POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Explosion (~60K, mpg) : Re: Explosion (~60K, mpg) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 21:21:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Explosion (~60K, mpg)
From: Matt Giwer
Date: 13 Jan 2000 03:04:56
Message: <387D8731.701D066A@ij.net>
Bouf wrote:

> Matt Giwer wrote:
> >
> >     One of the best I have seen or perhaps the one that looks most like
> > ILM would produce.
>
> Thank you VERY much for the compliment, but i'm sure that ILM can do a
> better job, dont' they ??????.... :)

    Today, ILM adds a ring that comes out that is meaningless and impossible
by physics. At least the old ILM didn't obviously violate physics too badly.

> And, ILM would have added a shockwave...... well, lets go to work and
> make my own shockwave !!!

    That is precisely the issue. A real shock wave is spherical not an
expanding ring. You can see it in a few WWII explosions. And it is really
moisture condensation from the overpressure, like a cloud, so you see it less
in desert explosions. In other words, there are no shockwaves in space any
more than there is sound. But almost all the movies have both. 2001 was
praised for not having sound in space. Star Wars put it back. Babylon 5 did
it right only once in the one episode with the two maintenance workers if I
remember.

    Looking like ILM is not necessarily a compliment to realism but it is
recognition that it is what people expect to see. Quite like machinegun
bullets making puffs in the dirt at the bad guy's feet and the one killing
shot jumping up to hit him. Or bullets causing sparks when they hit. Or a
thousand other hollywoodisms that exist only in movies.

    Duplicating Hollywood and realism are not the same thing. However in
competition you can lose points for not being like Hollywood.

    For your image, it was symetrical and dissipated. It also stayed dense in
the early part of the expansion before chaos would cause the clumping and
filimenting. I don't know what you had in mind or put into the scene but that
is more like the real result.

    The only improvement in realism I can suggest is that it be white for the
first few frames and drop through yellow for most of the rest then quickly
through orange to red at the end. That would follow the temperature decrease
from the expansion of the gasses. Whether or not that would look hollywood is
another question.