POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : nice (thought?) : Re: nice (thought?) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:16:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: nice (thought?)
From: Spider
Date: 12 Jan 2000 09:15:36
Message: <387C0236.32ED8D33@bahnhof.se>
Mark Gordon wrote:

> It's easily possible to automatically set a lower priority with an alias
> or a front-end script.  It sounds like that's not what you have in mind,
> though. ;-)
Not really :) A lower priority wouldn't really speed things up.. :I

> It should be possible to write a script to get the PID (assuming you
> only have one render going) and renice it using "su -c".  It will
> require password verification, but it should be much less painful than
> doing this manually.  Sound useful, or never mind?
it does sound useful, yes.

> Nice thought, yes. ;-) And nice seeing you again, BTW.
(re)nice ;-) to see you as well
(nope, no more pov crashes :)

Hm, should probably do something like that on X as well.. should be
easier since it leaves .pid files.. then perhaps a root cron job to exec
it once every 15 mins...

oh. while on the matter of X ... is there a way to restart the XFree86
server without killing all programs that run through it? I've noticed
that it does increase quite a lot in memory consumption after some use,
and running a long time task or such through it leaves you in a bit
bothered situation...

--
//Spider    --  [ spider@bahnhof.se ]-[ http://darkmere.wanfear.com/ ]
And the devil in black dress watches over