POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Future of Moray/POVray : RE: More offtopic nonsense [Was:Re: Future of Moray/POVray (long)] Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:21:53 EDT (-0400)
  RE: More offtopic nonsense [Was:Re: Future of Moray/POVray (long)]
From: Alex Magidow
Date: 11 Jan 2000 08:10:25
Message: <387B2C36.99E359D6@mninter.net>
Nicholas Hanson wrote:

> "Rick" <pov### [at] dialpipexcom> wrote in message
> > i am intreged by delphi, and a lot of people have said it kick VB ass, but
> > on the other hand, i dont have delphi, and as VB6 goes, so far its damn
> easy
> > to program, and as RAD is what i am after, VB works well for me..
>
> I find Delphi even easier to program than VB and it's a native code
> compiler.

AFAIK, VB 5 and up do compile to native code...

> > I can see a point where VB will become a pain in the arse, for example
> when
> > i end up using the win api all the time, but i am not doing that at the
> > moment, so far VB does everything i want, quickly, and with very little
> > effort.
>
> But by learning on it you are developing very nasty programming habits that
> will haunt you later if you choose to go deeper into programming. At the
> very least please get into the habit of using OPTION EXPLICIT instead of
> declaring everything as varient automatically. It really is a bad language
> to learn on.

I have to agree. You can learn it in a trimester at school(I know, I just took a
class in it), but its really a bad language to start learning. I prefer the
blood and guts approach of learning C/C++. They're much nicer language, and
after using them, and using VB, you'll desperately wish you had pointers in VB.

> > dont knock VB to much, it has it place,
>
> I'm not saying the language has no purpose, I use it myself. I don't develop
> applications for it however. I use VBScript in ASP pages, I use VBScript in
> WSH Scripts, and I use VBA for Office scripting and though I can use
> JavaScript for two of those I like to use a common scripting language. It is
> a great SCRIPTING LANGUAGE but for Application development and especially
> for learning programming it's a bad tool to use.

Its nice in that it takes six seconds to get something done that takes 100 lines
of code in C(ya, the code is cut and paste, but you know what I mean)

> > and as long as you dont try certain
> > things, or expect C++ or ASM performance it works fine, i grew up on C64
> > basic years ago, and VB is very similar, finding you can write win apps,
> > without actually having to really learn another language is a huge boon,
> and
> > as everything i write is for myself, never intended to be distributed, and
> > speed is just not a concern - as long as it gets the job done, and donst
> > give me any headaches in the process, its fine..
>
> But Delphi is just as easy to use, compiles faster code (I find it's better
> than even C++ -=USING MFC=-), and actually teaches you good programming habi
> ts since it's strongly typed and far more object oriented than VB. Just FYI
> if you don't know the language Delphi is based on is PASCAL so you may
> already know some of the basic syntax.

Pascal? Delphi? I've only vaugly heard of these. Anywhere with some good infor
on Delphi?

> > you should try it sometime :)
>
> I'm actually a MCP and I work for a company that is a MCSP so I'm VERY
> familiar with it. We have 6 copies of Visual Studio Enterprise and I still
> have Delphi installed because it's just superior. I would like to note that
> this is my personal opinion not those of the company I work for.
>
> > I have also used VC6, and while it has a greater kick of speed, greater
> > control, its incredably difficult compared to VB, and i dont have the time
> > to get my head around MFC propperly, so when my apps outgrow VB, i dont
> > think VC will be the answer, and when i get to that point, delphi may
> prove
> > to be perfect, untill then
>
> I agree with out completely. VC is a very powerful tool and I recommend it
> FOR EXPERIENCED PROGRAMMERS but it doesn't hold your hand at all and is VERY
> BAD to learn on. Delphi on the other hand has all capabilities and ease of
> use that Visual Basic does but is much more. Also it shares a common VCL and
> interface with Borland's C++ Builder (which is FAR easier to use than VC++)
> so it leads to a natural progression... I do think VC++ is better than C++
> Builder but it's far more difficult to use so for a new person I'd recommend
> this sequence:
>
> Delphi -> C++ Builder -> VC++

Ouch, sounds expensive...sounds REALLY expensive.

> > VB ROOLS (i have never had so much fun while i was working - *not strictly
> > true - but this is neither the time or the place to go into that!*)
>
> I bet you wouldn't say that after even a half hour with Delphi. It's ease of
> use and power are unmatched it just doesn't have they hype.
>
> For the record I think the Win32 version of Povray (well the interface
> anyway) was written in Delphi (or at least was at one point). As was
> HomeSite, Age of Wonders, etc.

Interesting. Pity Borland doesn't release free trial versions<G>...

--
LuAnne: You know, at the beauty academy they teach us that people aren't
black or white or yellow or red, but their hair can be.