POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Regression tests for POV development : Re: Regression tests for POV development Server Time
2 Sep 2024 12:13:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Regression tests for POV development
From: Ken
Date: 10 Jan 2000 20:08:28
Message: <387A8323.62A5FCA0@pacbell.net>
Nathan Kopp wrote:

> I am looking for a set of scenes that will test all (or at least most) of
> the features of the official version of POV.  I have another important
> requirement, though: they must render very quickly.
>
> I want to be able to render all of these before each release of MegaPov to
> make sure nothing has been broken.  Regression test scenes for MegaPov
> features would also be useful.  Does anybody want to work on this?  Please
> don't send individual scenes, as I do not have time to compile the set.  But
> if somebody wants to create a set of scenes like this (using some existing
> scenes from the POV distribution would be OK with me), I'd greatly
> appreciate it.
>
> I plan to use this for the development of MegaPov (I am currently speaking
> only for myself, not the POV-Team), but regression testing will also be
> useful in development of the official version of POV, so the POV-Team may
> wish to also use this set of scenes.
>
> -Nathan

Perhaps I am missing something here Nathan but there are already example
scenes provided with the official distribution that cover all of it's
features and the majority of these do render quite fast. Perhaps what
you are asking for is scenes the cover several of the features in one
multifunctional file ?

I also pose the same questions that Ron raised concerning how you will
evaluate the results. The more features you illustrate in a single
image the harder it is to evaluate minor programming problems because
scale has a tendancy to minimize visible defects. Single feature scenes
generaly have the example shown up close in detail increasing the chance
of catching a defect. You might get around this by rendering at higher
resolutions but the defeats your need for fast rendering times.

What is regression testing ?