POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : NetRay around? : Re: NetRay around? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 18:19:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NetRay around?
From: Ken
Date: 10 Jan 2000 11:13:16
Message: <387A035D.C19DAF56@pacbell.net>
Ron Parker wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jan 2000 07:30:12 -0800, Ken wrote:
> >

> >J Kim wrote:
> >>
> >> BTW, is the IMP-Pov similar  to this NetRay (in case this NetRay is fully
> >> developed)? I just saw your comment about the 'Rendering in a network' thread.
> >
> >It is similar but it is currently not avialable to the general public.
>
> Just to emphasize what's already in my .sig, I'm speaking for myself only here,
> but is that a violation of this clause in POVLEGAL, or is this a separate
> program that just invokes a separate copy of POV-Ray on each client machine?

As far as I know it is a complete custom compile of the program that has
added functionality. How and what it does can be answered by Nigel Stewart
who worked on most of it's implementation.

>  Custom versions may only be distributed as freeware. You must make all of your
>  modifications to POV-Ray freely and publicly available with FULL SOURCE CODE
>  to the modified portions of POV-Ray and must freely distribute full source to
>  any new parts of the custom version.

It is only unavailable to the general public because it is stored on a
password protected server - the IMP home page is for members only. Other
than that it was created under full compliance of POV-Legal. There is
no cost to download the program but to get access to it you have to join
the IMP so as to get access to the private pages.

I see no conflict here.