POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Simulated surface scanning. : Re: Simulated surface scanning. Server Time
2 Sep 2024 12:17:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Simulated surface scanning.
From: Ron Parker
Date: 10 Jan 2000 10:27:54
Message: <3879fa7a@news.povray.org>
On 10 Jan 2000 08:52:46 -0500, Nieminen Juha wrote:
>  This is a very clever idea.
>  However, it will only work for certain locations of the camera. You can't
>tesselate complicated objects with this trace() method, only parts that are
>visible from certain places.

Not true; you can always trace again after you find the first intersection to
find more.  But the real problem is that it's not really all that easy to turn
a collection of sample points into an unambiguous mesh; many papers have been
written on the topic, and many more will be written before it's considered
"solved."