POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Future of Moray/POVray : Re: Future of Moray/POVray (long) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:24:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Future of Moray/POVray (long)
From: Nicholas Hanson
Date: 10 Jan 2000 02:47:25
Message: <38798e8d@news.povray.org>
"Rick" <pov### [at] dialpipexcom> wrote in message
> i am intreged by delphi, and a lot of people have said it kick VB ass, but
> on the other hand, i dont have delphi, and as VB6 goes, so far its damn
easy
> to program, and as RAD is what i am after, VB works well for me..

I find Delphi even easier to program than VB and it's a native code
compiler.

> I can see a point where VB will become a pain in the arse, for example
when
> i end up using the win api all the time, but i am not doing that at the
> moment, so far VB does everything i want, quickly, and with very little
> effort.

But by learning on it you are developing very nasty programming habits that
will haunt you later if you choose to go deeper into programming. At the
very least please get into the habit of using OPTION EXPLICIT instead of
declaring everything as varient automatically. It really is a bad language
to learn on.

> dont knock VB to much, it has it place,

I'm not saying the language has no purpose, I use it myself. I don't develop
applications for it however. I use VBScript in ASP pages, I use VBScript in
WSH Scripts, and I use VBA for Office scripting and though I can use
JavaScript for two of those I like to use a common scripting language. It is
a great SCRIPTING LANGUAGE but for Application development and especially
for learning programming it's a bad tool to use.

> and as long as you dont try certain
> things, or expect C++ or ASM performance it works fine, i grew up on C64
> basic years ago, and VB is very similar, finding you can write win apps,
> without actually having to really learn another language is a huge boon,
and
> as everything i write is for myself, never intended to be distributed, and
> speed is just not a concern - as long as it gets the job done, and donst
> give me any headaches in the process, its fine..

But Delphi is just as easy to use, compiles faster code (I find it's better
than even C++ -=USING MFC=-), and actually teaches you good programming habi
ts since it's strongly typed and far more object oriented than VB. Just FYI
if you don't know the language Delphi is based on is PASCAL so you may
already know some of the basic syntax.

> you should try it sometime :)

I'm actually a MCP and I work for a company that is a MCSP so I'm VERY
familiar with it. We have 6 copies of Visual Studio Enterprise and I still
have Delphi installed because it's just superior. I would like to note that
this is my personal opinion not those of the company I work for.

> I have also used VC6, and while it has a greater kick of speed, greater
> control, its incredably difficult compared to VB, and i dont have the time
> to get my head around MFC propperly, so when my apps outgrow VB, i dont
> think VC will be the answer, and when i get to that point, delphi may
prove
> to be perfect, untill then

I agree with out completely. VC is a very powerful tool and I recommend it
FOR EXPERIENCED PROGRAMMERS but it doesn't hold your hand at all and is VERY
BAD to learn on. Delphi on the other hand has all capabilities and ease of
use that Visual Basic does but is much more. Also it shares a common VCL and
interface with Borland's C++ Builder (which is FAR easier to use than VC++)
so it leads to a natural progression... I do think VC++ is better than C++
Builder but it's far more difficult to use so for a new person I'd recommend
this sequence:

Delphi -> C++ Builder -> VC++

> VB ROOLS (i have never had so much fun while i was working - *not strictly
> true - but this is neither the time or the place to go into that!*)

I bet you wouldn't say that after even a half hour with Delphi. It's ease of
use and power are unmatched it just doesn't have they hype.

For the record I think the Win32 version of Povray (well the interface
anyway) was written in Delphi (or at least was at one point). As was
HomeSite, Age of Wonders, etc.