POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Simulated surface scanning. : Simulated surface scanning. Server Time
2 Sep 2024 12:15:29 EDT (-0400)
  Simulated surface scanning.
From: Charles Fusner
Date: 9 Jan 2000 16:31:56
Message: <3878FD34.DB90D806@enter.net>
This is just an idea I happened to think while working on a macro
that places "sweat beads" on user specified objects (glasses, mugs,
bottles, etc), and sort of inspired by something Warp said about
how simple the Raw triangle format was, and how a macro might be
written to convert PCM to Raw files, and the two thoughts sort of
re-combined into something completely different.

Anyway, I was thinking, wouldn't it be theoretically possible,
using trace(), a while loop, and file i/o to "scan" user
specified objects like a 3D scanner does and produce mesh
output in some common format like Raw or PCM that could, in
turn be further manipulated, or converted into other file
formats?

Why? Well, how many times on these groups or c.g.r.r. has it
been asked whether there were programs to convert POV into
any other formats? Usually the answer is no, partly because
not all POV geometric prims are easily tesselated (take
quartics, isosurfaces, or julia fractals for example), but
mostly because of the complexity of the POV language and
the inherant difficulty in parsing routines that do not
simply use the POV source, but are nevertheless up to date
with the latest syntax.

By letting POV itself perform the tesselation in a simulated
3D scan of a virtual object, both problems are obviated. POV
can already parse its own scene code, and no matter what new
objects are added, always will be able to. Complex objects
might require rediculously dense meshes (a mesh density
parameter to the scan routine would be essential), but in
theory, shouldn't it be possible to convert just about anything
using this method?

I have a vague idea how one might go about the process, but
it's merely an intuitive guess, and with no formal knowledge of
3D scanning techniques, I'm probably hopelessly off base, and
am currently working four separate projects at once (again!
arg! When will I learn?) already, so I submit this idea to the
gathering such that if anyone else has the requisite knowledge
and finds it a worthwhile project, perhaps such a macro or
macros will find there way into POV users toolboxes someday.

Crazy ideas by:
Charles