POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Using rand() : Using rand() Server Time
5 Sep 2024 18:22:54 EDT (-0400)
  Using rand()
From: Matthew Green
Date: 7 Jan 2000 00:36:03
Message: <38757B41.758B1703@netzero.net>
I've been trying to get something of a snow-topped mountain range, but I'm
having difficulty getting the snow to look even halfway natural.

I've got the mountains as a height field, and I thought I might be able to
declare the snow as that same height field, raised just a hair, but with a
randomized waterlevel (ie. #declare s1=seed(1000); water_level 0.6+rand(s1)).
However, as most experienced people already know and are laughing at me
about at the moment is the fact that I do indeed get a random number, but I
only get ONE random number.  Thus, the bottom of the snow IS random, but
it's still completely straight regardless.

Is there a way around this?  A snowlevel that's perfectly even just don't
look right!  I'm looking for something a little more jagged.  Is there a
way to do this with my scheme, or do I need to bag it and come up with
something else?  (And if I do, does anybody have any ideas?)

Thanks!
- Barelytone