POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Dusty? (~37kbau) : Original (~87kbau) Server Time
3 Oct 2024 15:13:23 EDT (-0400)
  Original (~87kbau)
From: TonyB
Date: 6 Jan 2000 13:12:51
Message: <3874db23@news.povray.org>
Here's the original scene, on which I based my own. I took it from the
November 1999 "Computer Graphics World" magazine, page 32. Of course, it
looks much better in the magazine than it does after scanning, so I don't
know how well you can use this to compare it to my work.

To answer your questions:

Ryan:

The dust around the ball is indeed media. What you're seeing is a spherical
density, which goes from rgb 0 to a planar density which is translated to
the top of the ball, and goes from rgb 0 to bumps. Around the ball itself I
placed a slightly (R*1.01) larger one that is pure texture to help bring out
the dusty look (because the media is too transparent and fuzzy). I also used
this trick on the floor. I have not tested this to see if it kills
reflections, because it renders very slowly as-is.

Bob:

The dust in the movie was indeed made up of 2.4 million particles, including
hairs, dust bunnies, spheres and flecks. I used media, and agree with you on
the blurred look. :( I'll have to work on it.

Ross:

The top of the ball and the shelf itself are supposed to be the dusty
objects, there should be no atmospheric dust.

Josh:

I actually made a small hole in the media right where the ball is, so you
can see that the dust only accumulated on top of it. My intent was only to
replicate the dusty look and not to make a "Toy Story" world, with living
toys walking around. I could maybe do this in the future.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'ts2-ds.jpg' (61 KB)

Preview of image 'ts2-ds.jpg'