POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Man with the Golden Gun... : Re: The Man with the Golden Gun... Server Time
3 Oct 2024 23:21:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Man with the Golden Gun...
From: Matt Giwer
Date: 6 Jan 2000 23:04:50
Message: <3874BD32.19A72615@ij.net>
Alan Kong wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Jan 2000 00:31:18 -0500, in message
> <387428A6.2EBAF91D@ij.net>, Matt Giwer <jul### [at] ijnet> wrote:
>
> >    OTOH the gun in the movie of that title was created for the movie and was
> >not a revovler. If you can find a picture of that it will be much easier to
> >model.
>
>   I'm not positive on my recollections but wasn't that weapon made by
> Desert Eagle and named something like "Auto Mag"?

    Absolutely not. It was something like a boxy Lugar. I vaguely remember reading
that it was actually made and did fire but you never can trust Hollywood hype.

    The Automag is what Dirty Harry uses in his third (?) movie, where the
shootout is on an amusement pier. That one went out of production. The Desert
Eagle is the one with the triangular shaped muzzle end, the current favorite of
movie bad guys. It comes in traditional .45 auto and a special .50 chambering and
$1 per round.

> Whatever it was
> called, I saw a guy with one at a local outdoor range. The slide broke
> off the gun when he was firing it and I saw him holding the pieces,
> trying to figure out how it failed. I have no idea if he was firing
> non-recommended loads through the weapon, or not.

    Good question what that might have been. I can't imagine anyone making a
hotload .50DE except by accident. But at the price, reloading is very economical.