POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Man with the Golden Gun... : Re: The Man with the Golden Gun... Server Time
3 Oct 2024 17:14:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Man with the Golden Gun...
From: Matt Giwer
Date: 6 Jan 2000 00:31:24
Message: <387428A6.2EBAF91D@ij.net>
Equiprawn wrote:

> I know, I haven't finished it yet (the file is called Golden Gun v0.5.jpg)
>
> There is also no trigger, so it could never be fired, and the back of the
> gun is blacked out as there is no back to it, just  the rest of the large
> cuboid I was carving it from.
>
> Thanks for the tip though. Does anybody have any pictures of the chamber of
> a Magnum or other revolver? I have no idea what the mechanism that lets the
> chamber swing out looks like, as I have been modeling from a 2" by 1" toy,
> so as you can undersatnd, I lack a bit of detail :)
>
> Any pointers to pictures on the web would be greatly appreciated.

    Actually you are looking for a design by manufacturer not by "magnum" or
anything like that. Smith&Wesson Model 29 or the later 629 would satisfy the
Dirty Harry image.

    There are two conspicuous problems, the ratio of barrel diameter to length
and the lack of a shroud around the extractor rod beneath the barrel. In the
first problem with worst case is going to be a .44/.45 (inch) hole and a 2 inch
barrel.

    http://data.smith-wesson.com/sport/results_output.cfm is a place to start.
Example attacked. As you can see you don't hve the easiest task.

    OTOH the gun in the movie of that title was created for the movie and was
not a revovler. If you can find a picture of that it will be much easier to
model.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download '629c.jpg' (43 KB)