POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Omega-1 Satellite Image (188kbu) : Re: Omega-1 Satellite Image (188kbu) Server Time
3 Oct 2024 17:13:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Omega-1 Satellite Image (188kbu)
From: Darcy Johnston
Date: 4 Jan 2000 23:11:08
Message: <3872c45c@news.povray.org>
Mike Williams <mik### [at] nospamplease> wrote in message
news:jnBvWdA+Ycc4Ew+h### [at] econymdemoncouk...
> From an astronomical point of view, the light source ought to be much
> further from the planet. I'd suggest a distance of about 10000 planetary
> diameters. With shorter distances, it's clear that the light rays
> reaching the top and bottom of the planet are not parallel.

Point taken, I'll have to fix that.

> As regards the TV interlacing, it looks a bit harsh at the moment. I'd
> suggest a bit of external post-processing (unless you consider such
> things to be beneath you) to perform a slight vertical smoothing. It may
> not be easy to find such a facility in an image post-processing program,
> but if you have one that allows you to create your own image filters you
> can set up one that looks like:-
>
>     0  1  0
>     0  4  0
>     0  1  0
>
> [In Paintshop Pro 6 use Image:User_Defined_Filters and set up one with
> that pattern in the centre and zeroes all round. Set the Division Factor
> to 6 and the Bias to zero.]
>
> The strength of the smoothing can be decreased by increasing the number
> in the centre, (in Paintshop Pro, adjust the Division Factor to be the
> sum of all the values).

I don't have PSP6, or at least not yet. But for the most part I like to try
ot do thing completely within POV, not so much because I'm a purist as much
as because I like to see what I can do with it. Thanks just the same for the
suggestion. I may use it yet.

Darcy