POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Shading idea (to correct an annoying artifact) : Re: Shading idea (to correct an annoying artifact) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:32:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shading idea (to correct an annoying artifact)
From: Ron Parker
Date: 28 Dec 1999 15:38:56
Message: <386b1ed1.94879596@news.povray.org>
On 28 Dec 1999 15:33:32 -0500, Nieminen Juha
<war### [at] punarastascstutfi> wrote:

>  Answer: I'm not sure, but I have an idea. Perhaps someone could give it a
>try?
>  The shading could be calculated this way:
>  If the actual normal of the surface is pointing away from the light source
>while the modified normal is pointing at it, then we ignore the first
>intersection of the current object and the shadow ray calculated for this
>point.
>  Any comments?

One problem I can see is that it would be possible to create
pathological objects that might get shaded incorrectly as a result of
this workaround.  Non-closed, non-convex objects come to mind
immediately.  Perhaps we should make the workaround more explicit by
specifically having a "no self-shadowing" keyword?  Non-convex objects
still would act funny, but you could work around that if you needed to
by clever use of CSG.