POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Distant Mountain Ranges : Re: Distant Mountain Ranges Server Time
5 Sep 2024 18:23:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Distant Mountain Ranges
From: Ken
Date: 1 Jan 2000 23:27:17
Message: <386ED305.D8F5DD70@pacbell.net>
Kevin Wampler wrote:

> Building a really good looking mountain range can actually be quite difficult,
> but since you want your mountains way off in the distance, it should be
> significantly easier.  I would recommend using a height field, or several
> height fields.  There are some excellent programs to help you design a height
> field, check out Ken's excellent links for a pretty extensive list.  I have
> heard that Leveller ( http://www.daylongraphics.com/ ) is especially good.
> I have also had some success using HLA, although it is a bit more difficult.
> I would also suggest making your mountains a bit obscured by haze (as is
> probably realistic) so you don't have to worry as much about texturing them,
> as that can be a bit tricky.  However, texturing them could also be very help
> you quite a bit in better learning Pov, so don't let me talk you out of it.

Here is my complete list of HF utilities -
http://www.povray.org/links/3D_Programs/Height_Field_Modelling_Programs_and_Utilities/

While I too strongly recommend Leveller as the HF modeller of choice is is
also a Windows app and not likely to run on BeoS. Jerry migh want to head
over to John Beales HF utilities pages and see what he can find. I am pretty
sure the he has both PC and UNIX variants available that might be usable on
that platform with a little work.

Making HF's with a grayscale fractal pattern is not the difficult either
and produces some interesting results. Many people like to use Fracint for
this purpose which is available on all platforms.

--
Wishing you Seasons Greetings and A Happy New Millennium !