POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Distant Mountain Ranges : Re: Distant Mountain Ranges Server Time
5 Sep 2024 18:19:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Distant Mountain Ranges
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 1 Jan 2000 20:55:40
Message: <386EAE77.5A6375C5@tapestry.tucson.az.us>
Building a really good looking mountain range can actually be quite difficult, but
since you want your mountains way off in the distance, it should be significantly
easier.  I would recommend using a height field, or several height fields.  There are
some excellent programs to help you design a height field, check out Ken's excellent
links for a pretty extensive list.  I have heard that Leveller (
http://www.daylongraphics.com/ ) is especially good.  I have also had some success
using HLA, although it is a bit more difficult.  I would also suggest making your
mountains a bit obscured by haze (as is probably realistic) so you don't have to worry
as much about texturing them, as that can be a bit tricky.  However, texturing them
could also be very help you quite a bit in better learning Pov, so don't let me talk
you
out of it.

Jerry C wrote:

> Hello,
>
>         I'm extremely new to using povray (on BeOS no less), and was messing about
here and there.  Now my experiments have led to something that seems kind of
interesting but I really could use a mountain range way off in the distance.  I'm
curious as to what would be the best way to accomplish this.  Would a height field be
the trick, or building one by hand (erg...)?  Any tips or anything that could be shot
my way?