POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Feature Request:PCM Objects : Re: Feature Request:PCM Objects Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:32:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature Request:PCM Objects
From: Karl Pelzer
Date: 31 Dec 1999 22:29:50
Message: <386D7595.443BDD1@t-online.de>
Charles wrote:

> The only potential problem I would see would be edge & vertex memory
> usage. Remember that the point of an UDO is to provide the minimum
> needed detail to place the object and leave the bulk of the triangle
> data in the INC file. If a file needs to be compressed into a PCM,
> it's probably quite huge to begin with, so reading it directly into
> Moray would sharply raise the edge and vertex memory requirements,
> and really clutter your screen with unnecessary wireframe data. Also,
> if you went on to use any of the hair growth or deformation features,
> that would increase the complexity of the model yet again.
>
> It might be better if this feature were added to Thomas Baier's
> 3DWin. That is, to convert an PCM file into an UDO/INC pair (where
> the INC file contains a call to the mesh reading macro as part of a
> #declare. That would leave you with a reasonably sized UDO, but still
> enable the use of PCMs directly with Moray scenes.
>
> Charles

I'm not thinking about Chris Colefax Mesh Macros, it is far too complex
to handle.
But I think there is no difference if I have the same 2 meg object as a
UDO file for Moray and replace it in the povray script with my 1 meg PCM
file.
The amount of triangles for moray is the same. I just want that moray
can read PCM files (and of course blowing a 1 meg PCM object to a 2 meg
internal moray object) and write povray scenes wich include the PCM
files.

Hope you kow what I mean .?

Karl