POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Shading idea (to correct an annoying artifact) : Re: Shading idea (to correct an annoying artifact) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:28:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shading idea (to correct an annoying artifact)
From: Nieminen Juha
Date: 29 Dec 1999 05:08:55
Message: <3869ddb7@news.povray.org>
Ron Parker <par### [at] fwicom> wrote:
: One problem I can see is that it would be possible to create
: pathological objects that might get shaded incorrectly as a result of
: this workaround.  Non-closed, non-convex objects come to mind
: immediately.  Perhaps we should make the workaround more explicit by
: specifically having a "no self-shadowing" keyword?  Non-convex objects
: still would act funny, but you could work around that if you needed to
: by clever use of CSG.

  Yes, I think that the fixed shading should be optional too.
  However, I don't think that a "no self-shadowing" option would be good
for this. Sometimes you really want the object to cast shadows on itself
(a cup of coffee comes immediately to my mind).
  I really think that this fix should be a separated option of its own and
that it should work the way I said.